KR Magazine.com – Kidnap and Ransom News

Latest News

    In Focus

    UK Hostage Talks Of Failed Rescue In Video

    British hostage John Cantlie talks about a failed attempt to rescue him in a new video released by Islamic State (IS)

    UK Hostage Talks Of Failed Rescue In Video

    British hostage John Cantlie talks about a failed attempt to rescue him in a new video released by Islamic State (IS).

    The video – the seventh featuring the journalist – sees Mr Cantlie describe an apparent raid by US military on July 4.

    “In this programme I’ll tell you about a failed raid to rescue us and how it feels to be left for dead by your own government,” the 43-year-old tells the camera.

    Mr Cantlie, again dressed in an orange jumpsuit, claims F18 jets, Predator drones and 24 Delta Force commandos were involved in the raid.

    He says it must have cost “tens of millions” of dollars – and that all militants had to do to escape was spend a few dollars on petrol and drive to a different location.

    Sky’s Enda Brady said: “In parts of the video he is very angry, he is scathing of how Britain and the United States have not negotiated with the Islamic State for the release of him and other hostages.

    “We don’t know where it was filmed, we don’t know when it was filmed.

    “We’ve no way of independently verifying this footage but it is professionally filmed and very well edited.

    “He is obviously speaking under great duress.”

    The video is again titled Lend Me Your Ears and lasts almost nine minutes.

    Mr Cantlie talks about having access to TV news channels such as Sky News and Al Jazeera and mentions recent speeches by Prime Minister David Cameron and US President Barack Obama.

    Last month IS released footage purporting to show Mr Cantlie in the embattled Syrian city of Kobani.

    On the new clip, a Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are aware of a further video and are analysing its contents.”

    Mr Cantlie’s father, Paul, died from complications following pneumonia last month – shortly after making an emotional appeal for his son’s release.

    The family has previously appealed for “direct contact” with the militants holding him.

    The footage is the first to emerge since footage was released confirming the beheading of a fifth Western hostage, US aid worker Peter Kassig.

    His murder followed that of US journalists Steven Sotloff and James Foley and British aid workers David Haines and Alan Henning.

    Source: News Republic